The N.S.S. is part of the Development of Youth Affairs and Sports under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. The objective of this scheme is personality development of students through service to the community by awakening their social consciousness. There are 2 units with hundred students and they are given training and opportunities to work with and among village people. It provides them with opportunities:-
- To discover and develop their hidden talents.
- To gain skills in democratic leadership
- To engage themselves in creative and constructive social work.
- To participate in intercollegiate, inter-university and inter-state camps.
- To become paid social workers.
A student volunteer who has completed 240 hours of work and attended a special camp during the course of two years is eligible for N.S.S. certificate from the university. This certificate enables a weightage for higher studies. It also an additional qualification for appointment in public services.
N.S.S Staff Coordinators:
Ms. Sonia Sebastian, Dept. of English
Dr. Anila Thomas, Dept. of Malayalam
NSS Activities at a Glance